A couple of months ago, I was left with a half bowl of leftovers from Chipotle. I randomly added it to a half cup of cooked oats the next morning and voila! It made for a delicious breakfast! The next week, I picked up some avocados and made this for breakfast. Since then, it has become one of my favorite breakfast recipes. It tastes incredibly creamy and rich, and the freshness of the vegetables perfectly offsets the texture of the oats. And the best part? It takes less than 15 minutes to put together.
Here’s what you need:
- One small onion, chopped into medium pieces
- One small tomato, chopped into medium pieces
- One chilli – finely diced (You can omit this if you don’t want the heat)
- Juice of half a lemon
- Two servings of rolled oats
- Salt to taste
- Couple of sprigs of coriander
- And most importantly – one avocado.
It’s pretty easy to put together.
What you need to do:
- Cook the oats in water according to the package instructions. I generally like my oats to be slightly liquidy and mashed together – like a milk shake consistency.
- Scoop out the avocado, add that in and mash it up nicely with the oats.
- Add the onions, tomatoes and chillies to it.
- Sprinkle some salt, squeeze in half a lemon. Add a couple of sprigs of finely diced coriander, and mix it all together.
- Serve in a big bowl and enjoy! 🙂
I’m not a fan of avocado when it’s warm so I would recommend leaving it on the kitchen counter for a few minutes to cool down. Or, you could even put it in the fridge and let it chill a little bit. You could add green peppers or corn to this recipe and it would taste great too. We had it with some corn nachos 🙂